Friday 1 October 2010

Back by popular demand!!!

Yes, someone actually reads my blogs, and asked to be reminded of my site (their old computer had lost my previous ones). Now that I have actually done a new layout, which was confusing in itself, and have a follower, I will be doing more. So watch this space.

The title of my blog now seems to be somewhat misleading though, now that we have retired. If it didn't cause too many problems I would do a new title, Farming-frenchstyle Retired, perhaps. I think I'll sidestep those problems and leave it as it is.

This week, however, I have actually done some farming. Well, I've driven the tractor and wormed 100+sheep, so surely that equates to farming. Doesn't it?

OH is busy fencing (again), so that we can put our fields into hay production next summer, and keep some control over the animals. Talking of which, we had another "bonding" session with our neighbours again. Even though the river on the limit of our land is fenced on our side, with the river actually being dry again and said neighbours having no fence (??) on their side, one of our tups and some of his women jumped our fence and went visiting the neighbouring ewe-lambs! The French neighbours are very good about it all, but short of slapping a saddle on the tup and waiting for the river to fill up, which means rain, rain, rain, am not really sure what more we can do. Our fence stops the cows (all 2 of them) and the horses, but not this Grand National tup. Encasing him in the freezer seems to be a good idea. Must ask the Chambre d'Agriculture what the rule is on fencing rivers. So, I've had a proper farming week.

Yes, we are still waiting for the rain. The ground has been as brown and as flat as our dining room table this summer. However, the memory of last winter's snow has not been erased. Let's hope we don't have snow like that again. Looking at the BBC weather forecast there seem to be swathes of rain over France, but it all goes over England, or perhaps the north of France. I'm sure when it does start it will forget to stop again.

Have booked my annual week to England for the last week in October with Laura again. I enjoy the week when she is with me as she is such easy company. Just keep feeding her and she's ok. She has already asked my mum to book the local Deli Belly for Sunday lunch while we're there, they do a buffet-style come again lunch, and we certainly take advantage. Let's hope we don't come back with Deli-belly!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice to see you back!

All the best

Keith

Dolores Doolittle said...

Hello f-f, not very retired person!

Tractor, hay and worming duties sound like a hefty load to me, and you're obviously breeding extremely dynamic sheep!

Have a wonderful October-week's repose (?)

davidjanehoskyns2@libertysurf.fr said...

That's another 2 that read my post!
Dolores - after 350 sheep and 30+ cows, believe me this is retired! Thanks both for commenting.