Wednesday 30 April 2008

Water, water everywhere..........

But not in the tap to drink, washup with, shower in, flush the loos with, use the washing machine or dishwasher with, water the cows and calves and sheep and lambs with - we had a disaster of the water-pump kind.

We have only a well water source, pumped up into the tank and electrically fed to the barns and the house. Only, the calves decided to wash the byre by dislodging the water bowls for their mums, and we didn't find it until too late. The 2 year old pump was burnt out. At 600 euros a time, plus fitting etc. it comes a bit expensive.

We have fitted a counter for the town (communal) water, but with the land being so wet (haha), the trench would be soon flooded before we put the pipe in, and it has to come up the drive which is about a kilometer long.

The plumber, bless him, decided it would be best to put the pump in the well, which meant pumping out gallons of (much needed) water. We caught as much as we could so we were able to water the animals, but it was like watching wine run away. I have to say I did think "thank god Laura is not here". When I told her about no water, she also thought the same.

Anyway, it is still raining, we have water in the byres and the house, but I'm still catching rain-water for the sheep. I think of it as one of my bits for the environment.

When we eventually sell, one of the questions is "Is there communal water?"

10 comments:

Georgina said...

Woah, water is a problem. Sort that out first and I'll send you a blow by blow account of how to pick up your blog award. P.S. The Jacket still hasn't been washed. Debs xxxx

dND said...

Sounds like here a few months back - but no calves, motor just burnt out. Luckily I was able to get a new pump and fittings for around 250€ and it didn't take too long to fit.

I'm trying to get on commune water too but like you, a kilometre drive/commune road and the water main doesn't pass by the end of the road either. Needless to say they are not hurrying to give me the quote!

It's amazing how frugal you can get with water if it's not on tap!

So I do hope you get your water back soon

Georgina said...

Hi, I'm glad you got round to collecting your award, I hope you are coping with the water.
Instructions for posting your award:
visit me and right click and copy the award blog of distinction.

Paste it into your photos on your computer.

Sign into blogger and customize and then go into layout.

On the RHS is "add a page element" click on this.

a screen comes up with options, 3rd down on the left is add a picture. Click on this.

Fill in the title and caption and hit the browse button. This will allow you search your pictures on the computer. choose the award and click save.

The award will go to the top right of your screen elements, you can move it around by left clicking and dragging it up and down the side bar. Any probs email debslehnerathotmaildotcom Debs x

Dolores Doolittle said...

Hi
Lord - what a calamity, but the way you dealt with it made me think of 'The African Queen' - Problem? Don't be a sissy!
George & I once had a very rustic weekend, knowing that everything we sent down our pipes resurfaced up the plughole of the cellar sink. But we were sissies - it took the plumber & a passing band of Water Company workers to save us!

farming-frenchstyle said...

I'm fed-up with my computer at the moment, there is one message blocking all the rest. Thank you to all who posted comments - Lehners in France I have trouble posting comments on yours, sorry. I'm looking forward to a new computer when we eventually move, and hopefully will have broadband.

Georgina said...

Hey no probs pop in when you can. my email is debslehner at hotmail dot com if needed. x

Mean Mom said...

The water problem sounds like a nightmare. It makes me realise how much we take our water supply for granted.

I seem to have missed something. I don't remember reading that you were moving. Are you going far?

farming-frenchstyle said...

Mean Mom - yes, we're up for sale, staying in France, but retirement beckons (for OH). Will post explanatory blog next time.

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Oh you must be looking forward to that retirement! What a palava! Are you buying locally or moving to another region?

farming-frenchstyle said...

MOB - hopefully staying not too far from Poitiers - Laura has "n" years to do at Lycee. Yes, a bit of a palava looking for something new. Watch forthcoming blogs!