Sunday 6 April 2008

What's in your pocket?

After emptying the pocket of my fleecy - it was well due for a wash - I thought "what do normal people have in their pockets?". Tissues, for themselves or for the kids, keys - car or door keys. Tickets - bus or Parking Tickets? Favourite lipsticks or essential make-up? Shopping lists.

Mine - baler twine of the sting or blue plastic variety. A necessity when lambing if it is a difficult birth. Pen knife - you never know when you might need it. You know mine because of the elastic band around the knife bit (due to lack of finger nails I couldn't get the knife bit out, so put a laggy-band around to stop it going in too far). Tissue - but you wouldn't want to use it as you don't know who has used it, or for what! Perhaps cleaning the penknife or a lambs mouth. Share and share alike. Sheep marker. Always carry a sheep marker. If you have to lamb a ewe and the lamb is dead you need to know which one the mother is, for future reference. Pen and paper - similar to the sheep marker, but if the lamb is alive you need to know date of birth, sex and mother's number - again for future reference. I even carried the tooth of one my horses around. (He lost it, I didn't take it out!)

When the kids were small I never had tissues, now I collect serviettes. McDonald's to posh Christmas ones are in my bag, you never know when you might need them.

I remember one night I got up and could hear the cows out, went to investigate in my dressing gown and wellies and couldn't find any string to tie the gate up with. After relating the story to a neighbour he said"Don't tell me you don't carry string in your dressing gown pocket." I replied "No, but I tied the gate with my dressing gown belt!"

What's in your pocket?

11 comments:

Mean Mom said...

In my pocket I carry my door keys, a tissue, a bit of change, my library card, my shopping list and a sheep marker. There's a coincidence!!

Please come to my tea party to pick up an award. Hope you can make it!

Georgina said...

Wow mean mom sounds posh. It's a good job the wind didn't get under your dressing gown, there could have been a "pleine lune."
My pockets are normally straw lined, a manky piece of kitchen roll which could have been used for horse eye snot, dog slobber or even blowing my nose and in no particular order. Bailer twine (blue or black nylon variety, I'm not choosey), a hoof pick (never leave home without one), and a jou jou (muffins favourite toy) also covered in "Bave de Chien" (dog slobber). The other say I went to the supermarket and as I took my purse out of my pocket I scattered straw all over the checkout. Ooh I got a dirty look. No-one has said mobile phone yet, how interesting, I don't have one in the YUK I had two.

dND said...

I sense a theme starting here.

Pockets usually have straw and hay (plus a good sprinkling over the rest of me), penknife, bits of baler twine (usually picked up to stop it jamming the grass cutters), a manky piece of elephant loo roll (kitchen paper), and usually a permanent marker (no sheep!)

I do have a mobile 'phone but unlike the UK where it never left my side I have to force myself to carry it in case of an emergency, especially when I'm out on the tractor.

Have we just swapped one dress code for another?

Georgina said...

I think you have started something. You have certainly shamed me into washing my jacket, as I missed out the inside pocket in which I found some Maise and a piece of (sorry us in France) mouldy carrot. As for dress code I know which one I prefer. Debs

the mother of this lot said...

No money. I know that much!

Georgina said...

Hi, I have a blog of distinction award here for you. Visit my site, right click and copy and put in on your side bar, You have to go into "layout". Then pass it on to eight of your favourite reads. Happy blogging Debs

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

I have tissues, baby belle chesse to reward the dogs for not fighting with other dgs when out walking, a house key and a tenner to get a quick drink in the pub on the way home if I feel the need!

Debra in France said...

Tissues, lip balm and phone. I always have a snotty nose, my lips always feel like elephant skin (aren't I painting a stunning picture of myself!)

dND said...

I have an award waiting for you over on my site if you'd like to come over.

All the best,
Deborah

farming-frenchstyle said...

Perhaps I'm not abnormal after all!
Leherners in France - am having difficulty in posting comments to your blogs (have not even tried links yet).

How do I collect my awards?

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

I'm catching up with you after so long!! And I wish I hadn't missed this - it would be a great question to pass around, only some of you have already done it! Very interesting. M xx
PS I must be obssessively tidy, I empty my pockets every day! Oh Dear :-(