Saturday 2 August 2008

Donna or Donna Kebab?

My sister Mandy has been here for a few days. It's always lovely to see her as we both have a similar sense of humour. My ex-husband could not cope with the pair of us together - he had sense of humour failure. When we talk on the phone we generally find something (mundane) to laugh at, but when mum speaks to Mandy she often thinks she (Mandy) is down.

I did think Mandy may be bored this time as usually we are quite busy with lambing, or I take the opportunity of some help and do some much needed decorating. As we have sold, it is not worth doing anything in the house, and cannot do anything at the new place, we had some time on our hands. I did have to do some baling at the new place, but we pulled in some sightseeing.

We went farm-hunting in Brittany (not for us), and had my first experience of SatNav - they get quite aggressive when you over-ride them. We got to Brittany and the Agent sent a text saying the meeting was not possible that day. Time of the message was 1.30p.m., time of the meeting was 2.00p.m., and we'd had a 6 hour drive! Managed to view a farm though after several phone calls.

We also took her to a village fete on the Saturday evening. You know the ones - food ok, entertainment crap but fireworks not so bad. She seemed to enjoy it, at least she knows what she is in for if she moves here.

As usual a calf was born whilst she was here. Last time one of the Normands gave birth to a heifer, so she was christened Mandy. Well, she would be, wouldn't she? OH and I went to look at the cows, and sure enough the same cow had calved. Now, you have to be pretty smart on the tagging of new born calves, give them a few hours and you can't get near the damn things, especially if they are born outside, as this one was. I nipped back to the house for a tag for the calf and a bucket of food for the cow, and told Mandy to come along to see it. "What it is (sex)?" she asked. "I don't know yet" I replied. This year it is the year of the "D's" - all registered calves names begin with the letter D. I said "Perhaps we should call it Thunder". Thunder and lightening in German is Donna and Blitzen, so Mandy suggested if it was a girl call it Donna. "What if it's a boy? " I asked. "Donna Kebab" she suggested, and we both fell about laughing.
We duly arrived at cow, calf and OH, gave the cow the bucket of food and tagged the calf. Picked up it's leg and saw tits not bits and said to Mandy "Donna". So Donna came into the world during my sister's holiday.

I don't think the French sense of humour would have stretched to Donna Kebab had it been a bull calf.

No comments: