Friday 8 August 2008

We finally finished haymaking on Wednesday. The last field at our new place. Yes, it was a bit late, and yes, it was crap hay as it was left too late, but it will be something for the sheep to eat in winter. Wednesday was, perhaps, the hottest day we have had so far. I forgot to take water with us, the stringing on the baler was crap as the hay was so dry and fine. Tempers were frayed, but we got there.

We went to the Producer's Market in our local village, but as it was the first attempt (and our village do's are not too well supported) we met some friends and went for a meal at a local restaurant. I know, not the right attitude, but a good night was had by us all.

We had a night of continual storm on Wednesday night/Thursday morning. It knocked out the phone/fax - my ears are attuned so I got up unplugged the computer at the phone and power points, let the dogs in (otherwise they ruin my plants at the windows), and returned to bed. Didn't get a wink of sleep, but had to get up at 7.00a.m. to sort out lambs that were being picked up Thursday morning. The day was wet, the cricket started, so we just lolled about and caught up with sleep. Just practicing for retirement, you know.

Until you have weeks of continual sunshine you never think you will miss the rain. You even sit out in it, pray for it even. It's good when it comes, and good when it stops.

4 comments:

dND said...

Well done - I've just cut my hay today - the hay cutter was finally fixed last week and we look like having a good weekend so fingers crossed I can get it dried and baled tomorrow.

The storms here were great and thankfully not too close but they did clear the air and give the land a bit of refreshment.

Good luck on your move too

Mean Mom said...

It's not been long since we were having scares about water shortages, but over the last 18 months or so, we have had floods, on occasions. I'm sorry for all the people who have had problems with flooding, but I also feel quite relieved that we are not having to stress about shortage of water. We haven't really had a summer, but then again, I haven't had to spend hours watering the garden!

farming-frenchstyle said...

Mean Mom - have just phoned my mum in England and she is fed up with the rain, too. It didn't help when I said we are having great weather this week.

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Catching up again - I seem to spend my life running to catch up!
It's amazing what weather we've had too - and now I want it to stop raining. At least your sheep will have something to eat in winter - not sure we'll be so lucky with prices the way they are!! M :-)